Want to learn how to make a plant based mac + cheese?
I always make a big batch of the creamy cashew sauce and save the rest in a jar in the fridge.
I use it as a pasta sauce, pour it over veggies or dip tofu in it.
Confession: I may occasionally eat it straight from the jar!
The great thing about this recipe is that it’s much healthier than a traditional Mac and Cheese. Store bought Mac and cheese is pre-packaged goop sold in a box, can or plastic tray. The traditional homemade sauce is based on flour, butter, milk and cheese.
This recipe is perfect if you’re trying to reduce your dairy consumption or if you want to make comfort food that’s genuinely good for you.
This recipe uses cashews to make the sauce really creamy, cauliflower adds a serving of vegetables, white miso adds a pro-biotic boost (good for your gut) and nutritional yeast contains lots of B vitamins and is fortified with vitamin B12 (great for vegans and vegetarians!).
Plant Based Mac and Cheese Recipe
- 2 cups pasta (elbow macaroni)
- 1 cup cashews
- 1/2 head of cauliflower
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1 tbsp white miso
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- *additional salt + pepper to taste
- Prepare all of your ingredients.
- Cook your pasta according to instructions.
- Add the cauliflower, cashews and garlic to a pot of boiling water and simmer until really soft.
- Add the cauliflower, cashews, garlic and almond milk to blender + blend until smooth.
- Add the rest of the ingredients + blend until smooth and fully combined.
- Taste and add additional salt + pepper if desired.
- Add the sauce to your pasta and you're ready to eat!
- Add any leftover sauce to a jar and store in the fridge for a couple of days, if it lasts that long!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 265 Total Fat: 18g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 13g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 831mg Carbohydrates: 22g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 5g Protein: 11g
Like this recipe? Pin it to Pinterest <3